Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Mea Culpa; Mea Maxima Culpa

Manasseh's Sin and Repentance

Whatever shortcomings I may have -- and they are many -- I maintain a high regard for integrity.  In myself and others.  It's for that reason that I long ago resolved not to be a "drive-by" blogger.*  If I make a mess along the way, I'll retrace my steps and clean it up.



The case in point is my last essay, in which I confidently (in hindsight, arrogantly) predicted an easy and decisive win for the Romney-Ryan ticket.  My assumptions about my fellow Americans led me to turn away from the empirically verified facts affirmed in the polls.  I had violated the essential and fundamental tenet of my own blog; I had allowed hypothesis to evade the argument of induction.  The fact that I erred in company with a few conservative luminaries does not absolve me, but rather condemns us all for our hubris.  Mea culpa.

-------------
*  If Rush Limbaugh never achieved another thing, his characterization of the "drive-by media" should earn him an exalted place in history.

No comments:

Post a Comment