Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Foreign Trespassers

US Soldier at Border Fence - 1916


It is remarkable when I find myself in agreement with the AP, but in this case I do -- at least in part.  The use of the phrase "illegal immigrant" should be abandoned, as should "illegal aliens" and "undocumented workers".  But the use of language in this sole instance is all I will stipulate to AP.  They carry the matter much farther in support of a pervasive relativist ethic -- no labels at all, anywhere! [1]  We may describe an action as illegal, but never a person.  Someone may belong to the CPUSA as a loyal and activist member, but he may not be called a communist; he may, with malice aforethought, take the life of his fellow human beings, but we mustn't call him a murderer.  And so on...  Too judgmental. [2]


My reason for objecting to the phrases cited is very different from AP's; I think the language is already far too freighted with euphemism.  Politically correct language that we use to conceal from ourselves and others unpleasant realities.  I prefer words that are direct, denotative and minimalist.  In the case instant, my preference over "illegal" whatever ...is a single word, deeply rooted in Western usage and common law.  Trespasser. [3]  

We can modify the word to suit.  Illegal trespassers would be redundant, thus, Illegal immigrants = Foreign Trespassers.

-------------------------------
1.  The AP Style Guide, as amended.
2.  a.  Few persons today seem to recognize the ideological abandonment of "judgmentalism" entails the rejection of judgment itself.  Perhaps chief among many causes of Western decline is the willful failure to judge, decide and act -- the fundamentals of human survival.
     b.  I once served on a jury in a murder trial. Fairly straight forward case.  After some discussion we were satisfied that the law and the facts supported the finding of murder.  In that we were unanimous.  But we had one holdout -- a non-judgmental middle-aged woman.  "Yes, I understand the facts and the law, but when I look at that man I just know he's not a murderer."
3.  For readers to whom language matters I cannot recommend too heartily a wonderful etymology site called etymonline.  Aside from that monumental undertaking, the author is a fine writer of history.  Since I often advertise his work, perhaps he will not think too badly of me if I overreach the Fair Use Doctrine (which I understand but poorly) as I may do in the following citation:  trespass (v.) Look up trespass at Dictionary.com
c.1300, "transgress, offend, sin," from Old French trespasser "pass beyond or across," from tres- "beyond" (from Latin trans-) + passer "go by, pass" (see pass (v.)). Meaning "enter unlawfully" is first attested in forest laws of Scottish Parliament (c.1455). The noun is recorded from late 13c. The modern descendant of Old French trespasser, French trĂ©passer has come to be used euphemistically for "to die" (cf. cross over, and obituary). 


No comments:

Post a Comment